Asthma and allergy are becoming more common in the general population, and it is also not uncommon to develop allergies in adult age. The word word allergy comes from Greek “Allos” = changed and “Ergos” = reaction, and simply said, the body (the immune system) will respond in a particular way to an allergen like nuts, which is tolerated by others. Allergy is not a disease per se, it is hypersensitivity of our body where the immune system is involved. Allergens are usually a type of protein. Proteins are found everywhere in nature, so it’s basically the imagination that limits what you can be allergic to.
Most people have no serious complications with allergy, and the medicine you use (antihistamines) can be bought without prescriptions. However, some may get very strong reactions to certain allergens (whey stew, peanuts) etc. In that case, there are some precautions that are very easy to take:
1)If you are planning to travel by air / abroad, please contact both the airline and the hotel to see how they can help you.
2) If you are dependent on, for example, the Epi Pen (used in acute severe allergic reactions) check the shelf life before you fly out.
3) If you are allergic to pollen, be aware that the polling season varies from place to place, so you may want to start with your medicines even before you travel.
4) Bring a booklet / pocketwatch or similar where you can show explain what you are allergic to in the local language. Remember, that WiFi is not always available, so something written down / small book might be appropriate.
Source: Norwegian Institute of Public Health and Norwegian Asthma and Allergy Association
Our mission is “to provide lifesaving information to give people peace of mind”.
Get our newsletter
- How to restart a heart18. July 2019 - 10:50
- Heart flutter – atrial fibrillation19. June 2019 - 09:47
- Vicious circles of insomnia, depression and chronic pain10. May 2019 - 11:07
- Vaccine – a major success12. April 2019 - 10:00
- When the fun stops, adolescents drop out of organized sports15. March 2019 - 14:54